REGULAR CLASS SCHEDULE
- Irish Grammar Class 7:00-8:00 PM, contact JMinehan@gmail.com.
- Kids/Parents Irish Learning Helper Session: 6:30-7:30 PM, contact DesNolan@optonline.net.
- Beginners Irish Class 6:30-7:30 PM, contact Cecia.Dalzel@quinnipac.edu.
- Lower Intermediate Irish Class 7:30-8:30, DesNolan@optonline.net.
- Higher Intermediate Class – meets Thursday from 6:30-7:30, contact JMinehan@gmail.com.
- Grupa Comhra – 7:30- 9:00 PM, contact Cait 203-459-9686.
GAC Irish Language Day & Variety Show
The “GAC Annual Irish Language Immersion Day” will be on October 6th, 2018. It is open to all levels from those with NO Irish to advanced. Irish Language Immersion Day Brochure or Pick up a brochure from the front desk. Irish Language Immersion Day Registration Form. Any questions please contact: Des Nolan at DesNolan@OptOnline.Net.
For the first time ever in the 70 year history of the club at GAC, an effort is underway to put on an a “Variety Show in Irish” (session style). 2018 is the Year of the Irish Language and we would like to show that the club actively participated in that. The show is being planned for October 6th, 2018, 2:30 to 4 PM. It will be open to the public ($5/person) and a booklet will be published ahead of time with each performance piece in English as well as Irish, so everyone can understand the show on the day.
Currently, we are looking for members of the various activity groups at GAC, (singing, acting, dancing and music), who would be interested in participating in this uniquely historical event. If you’re interested in participating, please talk to your activity leader who’s been contacted already or if you need to work on your own contact Des Nolan directly. Des will help with Irish performance piece selection, pronunciation and provision of simple phonetics as needed. Think a 5 min performance slot, (or multiple of that if needed), with a focus on a relaxed presentation/performance. Traditional pieces are fine, but we’re definitely seeking some contemporary interpretations on the traditional arts. Regardless, dare to be surprising and be entertaining! GAC Irish Language Day & Variety Show Flyer
If you think you might be interested in attending the show (no actual commitment needed) please send an email so we can get an idea of potential attendance.
Contact Information DesNolan@OptOnline.Net.
From June calendar
Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.
The quote above from GAC’s June Calendar is pronounced: Iss faar Gay-el-geh brish-teh naw Bay-er-lah clish-teh ~ meaning: “Broken Irish is better than clever English”
2018 IS YEAR OF IRISH LANGUAGE
- The Irish Government has declared 2018 the Year of Irish Language. People are encouraged to speak or learn some (or more) Irish. In light of that, the following Irish events are offered:
- A new display exists at the front desk, in which every couple of months there will be a different set of handouts with Irish, English Translation and Phonetics on some interesting topics.
- Assistance to all activity groups and staff within the club to work with them to introduce a little Irish to their activity or work.
- An open invitation to participate in the Common Prayers/Anthem in Irish at the club’s flag raising on St Patrick’s Day or in a practice session 2PM Saturday March 3rd, or the Irish Language Immersion Day on October 6th. Handouts for both activities are on club’s information table. The one for St Patrick’s Day has English Translation and Phonetics.
Also, please come and see some Irish performed at the Cultural Night. For more information contact Des @ DesNolan@OptOnline.Net
LEARN COMMON PRAYERS & ANTHEM in IRISH
Every St Patrick’s Day morning at the GAC’s flag raising the Common Prayers and the Irish National Anthem are said in Irish. This year, so all can participate we are offering a Practice Session on Saturday March 3rd, @ 2PM in the Cultural room. Please register with DesNolan@OptOnline.NET. Handouts available on the information table in the club hallway with the Irish, English translation, phonetics and web audio links.